Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Devil of a Time

I was recently informed that blogging is of the devil. Apparently it is a monumental waste of time and it is the negative, bastardized version of legitimate journal keeping. I thought this over for a while and have come to the following conclusions: Blogging is better than NOT keeping a journal at all. Blogging does tempt the writer to gripe or to pontificate on pointless chatter. If you are careful not to be too negative, blogging can be a positive thing- even with the pointless chatter. When my brother discovered I blog he thought I was extremely weird. Then he started one. And since then, he has had much more contact with me than he used to. I think this is an extremely positive outcome of the use of my time here. Also, I have the added bonus of a fair warning against Cajun fries. Trust me, they're disgusting.

Let me tell you what I think is of the devil. Mopping. Talk about your monumental waste of time. I have mopped occasionally in the past. Usually when company is coming (and they have had the courtesy to inform me ahead of time.) But when nobody is on the threshold I just don't see the point. Let me tell you why every family with more than one child should have a dog. It is called "crumbs-don't-really-come-from-bread-stuffs-they-are-manufactured-somewhere-inside-of-kids-and-jelly-must-randomly-ooze-out-of-the-floor-because-none-of-my-kids-ever-got-it-anywhere-but-on-their-plate". Now I know those of you who have had dogs will insist that they come with their own messes, but I contend their messes are less messy than jelly-bleeding linoleum. Mopping. It's of the devil.

3 comments:

Cam said...

Who informed you that blogging was of the devil?

Cassadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassadie said...

First let me vent my irritation with Blogger for deleting my original comment! Argh!

Next, let me say that I believe that blogging is a healthy, creative way for people to express themselves. And let's face it, not everyone can/should be a "real" writer, so this is the next best thing.

You want to know what I think is of the devil? Grading spelling quizzes. I have spent HOURS of my life doing this thankless task. Everybody knows that kids don't look at the words they misspelled on the quiz and miraculously learn to spell them. Most kids don't even bother to see which words they missed-- they just look at the grade and then chuck it into the recycle box. So your dirty little secret is that you don't mop? Mine is that at least once a quarter, I toss out an entire set of ungraded spelling quizzes. And you know what? No one has ever noticed...